Election Day in the with the Pits

In an attempt to curb my election anxiety ("They've stolen it before, they can steal it again"), I'm planning to spend part of the day with the pit bulls at the shelter where I volunteer. My job there is "dog enrichment," which means taking individual dogs outside to run, chase balls, and exchange love--I give them belly rubs, they give me kisses.


Although Sarah Palin has given pit bulls an even worse rep than they already had, most of them are terrific dogs--highly intelligent, athletic, and, unlike, say, some of the herding breeds, really attuned to humans. I have a huge crush on one of the pits, Jenkins, who possesses a temperament that can only be described as merry ("cheerful, joyous, uninhibited enjoyment of frolic or festivity").

With luck, by the time the election results come rolling in, I'll be feeling merry, too.

Photo: TMAC

1 comments:

Jude said...

They are beautiful dogs. Unfortunately, they seem to be targets for perversion by nasty owners. It's kind of a vicious cycle (no pun intended): they get a bad reputation, which causes them to attract more nasty owners who train them to be attack dogs, etc.