Parting Words

"If there's one thing I can't admire it's an ungraceful exit. There's really no excuse, and just imagine what everyone will be saying about you, long after you're gone."

Nancy Clark
July and August

I never wanted to become one of those bloggers who use cyberspace as an arena for their personal pity parties.

My first blog, "Hopelessly Midwestern in Belgium," was a vehicle to share our expat experience with friends and family. Although it had some commentary on the difficulties of being an American abroad, that was balanced (I hope) by enthusiastic reports on our European travels.

After the initial rhapsodies—complete with pictures—about how beautiful Colorado is, "A Foothills Life" never had a clear purpose. Tiny pictures of the Rockies on a blog can't convey the scale of the mountains or the euphoria you feel after climbing to the top of a peak. And although each new skiing, climbing, or kayaking expedition is an adventure for us, writing about it and especially reading about it week after week seems like a waste of time.

In addition, recent blows to our bodies and souls have left us reeling. They occupy so much mental space that it's hard to keep them out of the blog, which leads us back to my dislike of blogs that are full of self-pity and whinging, as the Brits call it.

Which is why I'm officially retiring from my two-year stint as a blogger, effective immediately.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your departure is a loss for those of us who read you faithfully. Can we stay in touch through occasional e-mails?
I am going to Belgium for 6 weeks beginning in April ( I think I may already have mentioned it) and would be glad to bring back anything that would please you. I'll be doing so for Jill also. You can respond to my e-mail address if you prefer.
Affectionately,
Françoise

Jude said...

I hope you'll continue to write even if you don't post it. And then you can cut and paste your musings into an email to me. I don't mind "pity parties," when they are for my good friends. Love, Jude

HJ said...

Dear Kate,
I am going to give this another try - website crashed the first time and my comment didn't get sent.
I was so glad to discover your blog while you were still in Brussels. It was a pleasure to read your stories about the life of an ex-pat..always thoughtful and articulate, and often very funny. There are so many great things about life in Belgium..and so many things that can be hilarious. I wish I'd caught up with you sooner; you would have been such a delightful addition to our book group here.
I hope you'll send an email with more recommendations when you have time, and I'll do the same if you'd like.
I'll miss your stories. You should do what your friend Jude suggested..keep a journal of your musings.Maybe we'll see your published works one of these days.
All the best to you and your family.

Hattie
- still gray and wet here, but looking better every day.