A Note to My Mother*

Dear Mom,

The youngest of your four grandchildren graduated from high school on Sunday. As a toddler, Anna Kate looked exactly like pictures of you at that stage, except that she didn't have your red hair. (Patrick got that piece of the genetic pie, although he attended his high school graduation as a peroxided blond.)

Like her sister, Gretchen, and her cousins, Alison and Patrick, Anna Kate has brains to spare and graduated with honors. Of the three girls, Anna Kate has the sweetest temperament; Gretchen and Alison don't suffer fools gladly, and the objects of their scorn are lucky if all they have to endure is heavy-duty eye rolling, accompanied by stage-worthy sighs. Anna Kate and Patrick both have a remarkable way with animals, especially dogs; a scruffy little terrier named Peanut owes his life to Anna Kate. (To give full credit where it's due, Anna's mother had the patience of a saint with Peanut, whose housetraining took longer to accomplish than some disarmament pacts.)

One Christmas years ago when we visited St. Paul, two-year-old Anna Kate stood in her crib and yelled--to the delight of her sister and cousins--"I can sing, I can dance, I'm alive!" It proved to be prescient: As she grew up, Anna Kate spent a lot of time singing (Sacred Harp) and dancing (Morris and contra). Like all your grandkids, she also plays a musical instrument, or in her case, two instruments, violin and piano.

In her cap and gown on Sunday, Anna Kate looked charmingly poised on the edge of adulthood. We wish you could have been there to see her and to tell her how proud you were to be her grandmother.

Love,
Kate

Anna and her dad


* Mom died from breast cancer in August 1978. She did not live to see any of her grandchildren.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very touching entry, Kate. It makes me appreciate how fortunate I am to see my grandchildren growing up and becoming adults. I hope you ,too, will have that joy in the future.

Jude said...

Whoa, you scared me there for a minute - I thought "What??? Is there a 3rd child I didn't know about????!!!!" Must have been my fried brains (it's over 100 today).

Your mom would be very proud of her grandkids, and her daughter too.

Georgia said...

What a beautiful letter, Kate. I'm so happy you're continuing to blog now that you're in Colorado. (Thanks, too, for including the picture of your brother and niece. Jim really could be Edmund Morris's double.)