Sharing the Trail

One of the things that I love about Colorado are the ubiquitous "Share the Road" signs, reminding drivers and cyclists to play nice with each other. (We could have used a few of those signs in Brussels, although I suspect that the Belgians would have ignored them.)

Hikers, cyclists, and horse riders also share many of the dirt and paved trails out here, generally with good humor and manners worthy of 18th century European aristocrats. ("You first." "No, no, you. Please, I insist." "Why, thank you. Enjoy this beautiful day.")

When we hike at the base of the mountains, as we did yesterday, we sometimes see signs such as this one:


Which is how we found ourselves sharing the trail--which, after all, crossed their grazing lands--with a small herd of cattle. Hana completely ignored the cows--even the huge black one, who trotted right out in front of the dog's nose--and they paid no attention to her. Apparently even the livestock in Colorado are easygoing about sharing open space.



On a related note: Hana and I recently spotted some livestock just off the paved trail that winds through our neighborhood. I had to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, but sure enough, there they were, a trio that I can't stop thinking of as "Llamas for Obama."

5 comments:

Jill, Foxy and Ana said...

I love Llams! Foxy would have freaked at the cows being so close.

Anonymous said...

Kate, you would like Oregon, too. Same lovely manners, cows and llamas. i hope you'll come and visit some day. The danger for me with this pleasant atmosphere is that I forget to change gears when I return to Brussels.

I actually got my voting card and my ballot in time to vote for O. Yeah!

Kate G said...

A belated congratulations on your new status as an American, Françoise! I've actually done a bit of volunteer work for the Obama campaign, which is amazingly well-organized and not taking any of the polls for granted.

Kate G said...

Jill, I love llamas, too, but I suspect that Foxy has more brains than the trio in neighborhood put together.

Jude said...

This must be an incredible relief after dealing with cold/rude Belgians for so long.