The Peace of Wild Things


The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry

A lot of bad things have been happening lately to people I know. Death. Illness, physical and mental. Senseless violence. Unemployment. Political intolerance. Some days, it feels hard to breathe with the weight of all this sadness, and the concept of grace seems a myth.

That's why our trip to the Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center on Sunday was such a blessing. For a few moments, we lived wholly in the present, conscious of nothing but the "wild things" beside us.


5 comments:

Paul N said...

By wild things, I assume you are referring to the wolves and not Jim. However, his hair is more grey than the wolves

Jill, Foxy and Ana said...

What an awesome day! Love the photos...but i don't know if i would have gotten that close.

Kate G said...

Actually, Paul, Jim's hair is completely white now.

Kate G said...

Jill, the funny thing was that I wasn't even the slightest bit afraid of the wolves. I don't think you would have been either, if you had been there, too.

Jude said...

Wolves truly don't deserve their bad reputations. I think the Three Pigs was actually a distortion by the press (and probably farmers angry at having their livestock eaten). The pigs in the story were probably more dangerous than the wolf, at least to people!